Homemade shortbread is popular and a very easy recipe to follow. Most families will stock up on shortbread for the Christmas holidays.
There are variations today for example adding chocolate chips or orange juice and zest. But I have recreated an original recipe here just the way I learned to make it.
Ingredients for homemade Shortbread
What you will need to make Homemade Shortbread.
- 225g unsalted Irish butter, softened
- 110g caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 225g plain flour
- 110g corn flour
- Pinch salt
How to make homemade Shortbread
- Cream butter and sugar until soft and fluffy.
- Sift flour, corn flour and salt.
- Mix into dough.
- Roll dough out between two pieces of parchment paper until 1cm thick
- Cut into chosen shapes depending on the season this can be bunnies for Easter or Christmas Trees or just circles for an any day tea.
- Leave on tray to chill for 30 mins.
- Heat oven to 170⁰C.
- Bake for 20 mins until edges turn golden.
- Dust with caster sugar or leave sugar off if you wish to decorate shortbread with icing.
- Leave to cool.
Homemade Shortbread is best served with a good cup of Irish tea.
This article was first published on 17-06-2017 and last modified on 29-07-2017.