This is one recipe that every Irish girl needs to know how to make. In fact it is one of the first things a young girl will be taught how to make at school.
There are variations today for example adding chocolate chips or orange juice and zest. But I have recreated an original recipe here just the way I learned to make it.
Ingredients for homemade Shortbread
What you will need to make Homemade Shortbread.
- 225g unsalted Irish butter, softened
- 110g caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 225g plain flour
- 110g corn flour
- Pinch salt
How to make homemade Shortbread
- Cream butter and sugar until soft and fluffy.
- Sift flour, corn flour and salt.
- Mix into dough.
- Roll dough out between two pieces of parchment paper until 1cm thick
- Cut into chosen shapes depending on the season this can be bunnies for Easter or Christmas Trees or just circles for an any day tea.
- Leave on tray to chill for 30 mins.
- Heat oven to 170⁰C.
- Bake for 20 mins until edges turn golden.
- Dust with caster sugar or leave sugar off if you wish to decorate shortbread with icing.
- Leave to cool.
Homemade Shortbread is best served with a good cup of Irish tea.
This article was first published on 17-06-2017 and last modified on 18-06-2017.