A traditional Irish meal is usually made up of very simple ingredients and in most cases are extremely easy to cook. You’ll find most traditional Irish recipes will contain the basics of vegetables, meat, or fish.
It would be safe to say that Ireland’s most famous dish would be the traditional Irish stew, its not only very basic but its also very easy to make. The stew, like other traditional dishes, are very cheap to make and its a recipe that’s been in every Irish home for years.
The potato has been a part of Ireland’s diet for hundreds of years so its no surprise it can be found in many traditional recipes. Not only are potatoes cheap to buy but they can also be served in a variety of dishes such as stews, mashed, boiled, and even soups. It really is the perfect ingredient for low cost hearty meal.
Being on a small island that’s surrounded by sea its no surprise fish has become part of the Irish diet. There are many different fish recipes from Ireland but not everyone would agree to like them, unless its one of their own traditional family recipes.
We drawn up a list of our favourite Irish recipes and even added in some of our own family recipes. Not all are traditionally Irish but we hope you’ll give them a try and bring a little bit of Irish into your home.
Simple Traditional Irish Meals
We hope that you will try some of these dishes and experience the great food we eat here.
- How to make al full Irish breakfast
- Traditional Irish soda bread recipe
- How to make Irish wheaten bread
- Recipe for making Irish potato bread
- How to make traditional Irish barmbrack
- How to make Irish potato soup
- Traditional bacon & boiled cabbage Irish recipe
- Making Poundies (mashed potatoes)
- How to make Irish farm house broth
- How to make seafood dish cockle soup
- Traditional Irish smoked fish soup
- Preparing pea & ham soup
- How to make Irish skink (broth)
- Cooking leek and oatmeal broth
- Cream of turnip soup recipe
- How to bake home made Irish apple pie
- Recipe for cooking traditional Irish stew
- Recipe for Irish fish cakes
- How to make hunters pie
- Cooking the traditional dish of Dublin coddle
- Irish recipe for beer batter monkfish
- How to cook nettle soup
- Recipe for traditional Irish colcannon
- Irish spiced beef recipe
- Typical and popular Irish turnip recipes
- Sweet yellow man from the Oul’ Lammas Fair
- Hot Cross Buns for Good Friday
- How To cook parsnip & apple soup
If you have a family Irish recipe you would like to share then please use our contact page to get in touch.